Serves 4 to 6
- Unsalted butter, for baking dish
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 large Anjou pear, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cored
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 10-inch ceramic tart dish or 9 1/2-inch pie plate. Dust with flour, and tap out excess; set aside. Put cherries in a medium bowl, and cover with boiling water by 1 inch. Let stand until plump, about 10 minutes.
- Cut pear lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices; fan over bottom of prepared dish. Blend milk, cream, eggs, vanilla, sugar, flour, and salt in a blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour batter over pear.
- Drain cherries; sprinkle over batter. Bake until golden and set, about 25 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. Cut into wedges. Clafouti can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 1 day.