Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pear Clafouti

I got this recipe from Martha Stewart's website. I had seen it on one of her programs and had to try it out. I bought some pears from Costco recently and needed to use them up, so decided to make the recipe again. I didn't have the dried cherries, so I used some dried blueberries I had instead, and I think I liked them better. I also didn't have any cream, so I used canned evaporated milk. Don't be squeamish, it tasted fine. :P I also used two pears instead of one, and I liked that I could really taste the pear more. This recipe is so easy and is good for breakfast! It's like custard only without so many eggs.

Ingredients

Serves 4 to 6

  • Unsalted butter, for baking dish
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries
  • 1 large Anjou pear, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cored
  • 3/4 cup whole milk
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • Pinch of salt

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 10-inch ceramic tart dish or 9 1/2-inch pie plate. Dust with flour, and tap out excess; set aside. Put cherries in a medium bowl, and cover with boiling water by 1 inch. Let stand until plump, about 10 minutes.
  2. Cut pear lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices; fan over bottom of prepared dish. Blend milk, cream, eggs, vanilla, sugar, flour, and salt in a blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour batter over pear.
  3. Drain cherries; sprinkle over batter. Bake until golden and set, about 25 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. Cut into wedges. Clafouti can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 1 day.

No comments: