Friday, May 15, 2009

Hamburger Barley Soup

I actually got this recipe from television. Kathy Lee Gifford shared this recipe that her mother often makes for the grandchildren. I love this recipe, and I think it's pretty healthy.

Hamburger Barley Soup

2 lbs of ground beef
16 oz. tomatoes chopped
6 oz. tomato juice (I usually just use tomato sauce)
7 C water
1/2 C string beans
1 Green pepper, diced
1/2 C celery chopped
Salt & Pepper: 1 tsp each. (if you are squeamish, you can cut down on the pepper)
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbl. soy sauce
1 Bay leaf
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 C pearl barley
2 carrots sliced
1 large baking potato cubed

Brown ground beef. Add all ingredients in pot except carrot and potato. Bring to a boil. Simmer 45 minutes. Add carrots, simmer 10 more minutes. Add potatoes, simmer 20 more minutes. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Linda M. said...

I must have seen the same show!
I remember her saying that it was also called "clean out the fridge" soup! We make it every winter in Michigan. We also swap tomato juice with V-8 juice & we use minced garlic vs powder.
Delicious! Thx KLG